View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
R.B.

<<Mediterranean diet>>, should be extremely efficient at blocking HER2

Please excuse me for posting this here but it does seem central, and important to allow those who would not normally give much consideration to the potential of diet as an adjunct to treatment to ponder on it.

The trial is from the eminent J A Menendez, Ruth Lupu and their team and quite recent Nov 2006. The simplistic interpretation is mine.

In essence much still to know but for HER 2

Omega three - good
Omega nine - good
low Omega six - good

Clearly as usual it is not that simple but the summary below adds to the weight of evidence that strict moderation of fat intake, balancing the omega threes and sixes and quality of intake are well worth serious consideration as an adjunct to treatment.

As usual if undertaking significant dietary change please talk to your advisers.

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...t_uids=17134970

ABSTRACT

CONCLUSIONS: i) These findings reveal that the omega-3 PUFA ALA suppresses overexpression of HER2 oncogene at the transcriptional level, which, in turn, interacts synergistically with anti-HER2 trastuzumab- based immunotherapy. ii) Our results molecularly support a recent randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial suggesting that ALA may be a potential dietary alternative or adjunct to currently used drugs in the management of HER2-positive breast carcinomas. iii) Considering our previous findings demonstrating the <> of the omega-6 PUFA linolenic acid (LA; 18:2n-6) and the <> of the omega-3 PUFA docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n-3) and of the omega-9 monounsaturated fatty acid oleic acid (OA; 18:1n-9), it is reasonable to suggest that a low omega-6/omega-3 PUFA ratio and elevated MUFA levels, the two prominent <> of the <>, should be extremely efficient at blocking HER2 expression in breast cancer cells.
R.B. is online now Edit/Delete Message
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote