View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
caya

Re: Cognitive Rehabilitation

I am chiming in here for 2 reasons:

1. My DH had a brain aneurysm 9 months before I was diagnosed with BC. We were lucky - he had what are called "sentinel bleeds" (warnings) - so after 3 weeks of about 4 episodes a CT angiogram found that aneurysm. He had a coiling procedure (they stuff the aneurysm with platinum coils shot up through the groin to the brain) and it's been nearly 9 years and he is fine. But it took a lot of time to heal - the neurosurgeon told us it would take about a year or more for him to be "okay", that rest is the number one thing the brain needs. He also had cognitive therapy once a week for many months (supplied by our provincial government health care).

2. I found I was not myself until I finished my 5 years of Tamoxifen and Femara. Physically, emotionally, mentally - I realized about 6 months after I was off the Femara that I was "me" again. More energy, more focused etc. I think the effects of those anti-hormonal drugs are not given enough credo and often are "sloughed off" - take the drugs, ladies, and suck it up. Be glad you're alive. Of course we're glad alive, but guess what, it's not perfect, and there are issues!

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote