Thread: Palliative Care
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
chrisy

Re: Pallative Care

Emelie,

I meant every word of what I posted above, and will support you whatever you have, or do decide. It is your decision.

I did find find it hard to post, and I wish I had still been pondering my response instead of posting it just moments before Karens post. I want to, and will be supportive of you whatever path you choose... And my comments were in that spirit.

I left much unsaid tho, and let my respect for your choice trump my deeper beliefs.

I respect and also happen to agree with your choice to "live a life feeling as good as I can for as long as I can" I wonder tho about the " instead of chasing a dream and worrying ALL THE TIME".

I believe there are more options to get to feeling as good as you can for as long as you can. Maybe a short term stint on chemo, or a mix of targeted therapy as Becky suggests, alongside palliative care (which is different from hospice) and other supportive measures to help with the worry you (we all) experience could get you to a place of much longer term maintenance on a high QOL targeted strategy with tdm1 and/or pertuzumab. This is not chasing a dream, it's a real possibility.

Emelie, none of these decisions are easy, and nothing is certain. In the end these ARE YOUR decisions. Your choice will be the right one for you, fired in the crucible with all the challenges of this disease, challenges from your friends (us) and above all, the wisdom of your own heart.

Blessings and much love,
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote