View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
'lizbeth

Re: Denied a massage because of my cancer...

These are the current national standards for certification as a massage therapist:

What does it take to become nationally certified?
To become certified, a massage therapist or bodyworker must:
  • Complete a minimum of 500 hours of instruction
  • Demonstrate mastery of core skills, abilities and knowledge
  • Pass a standardized NCBTMB exam
  • Uphold NCBTMB’s Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
The 500 hours of instruction must include:
  • 125 hours of body systems, anatomy, physiology and kinesiology
  • 200 hours of massage and bodywork assessment, theory and application
  • 40 hours of pathology
  • 10 hours of business and ethics (minimum of 6 hours in ethics)
  • 125 hours of additional instruction in an area or related field that theoretically completes the massage program of study (back)

Oncology massage is not a standard for national certification. It is an area of additional training being considered in advanced certification. Testing for advanced certification on a national level was not implemented until 2010.

Massage Envy hires entry level Certified Massage Practitioners as low as 200 to 250 hours of training. This is massage for the masses - not specifically for cancer patients or survivors.

If you want to be sure to receive a massage from a professional who understands the precautions of working with cancer survivors then inquire if they have taken additional training on oncology massage.

Just like the medical field - oncology is a specialty, not practiced by every physician or licensed massage therapist.

I am hoping to specialize in oncology massage and appreciate Jessica's spirited opinions, however massage therapy is still a relatively new field and has worked to overcome some negative associations with the world's oldest profession. The more I dig in to contraindications of massage with cancer, the more I find I haven't considered.

On the flip side, I did a report on the benefits of massage for cancer patients for a class. The most encouraging information was the increase in activity of NK cells in the immune system after light effluerage. I look forward to a future where massage is offered during chemotherapy - Sweden, as usual, leds the way in these studies.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote