View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
rl2

The Monterey Bay Aquarium publishes a list of "ocean friendly" seafood by region (northeast, pacific, etc.) which lists the best choices for seafood in terms of both abundance (i.e., not endangered or overfished) and health (toxicity). The publications can be downloaded and folded to be carried in a wallet so they can be accessed while shopping or eating out. This doesn't address the Omega 3 issues but provides a supplement to that concern.

This may be a bit off track in terms of this thread, but like everyone else, I have spent a lot of time thinking and researching diet concerns since being diagnosed (2006). There are studies (China Study) which show that societies which consume the least amount of animal products have the lowest amount of chronic disease, including cancer; that consumption of dairy products (especially from cows treated with hormones and particularly in childhood) can increase higher levels of insulin like growth factor which may be tied to cancer; in studies on prostate cancer patients, Dean Ornish has shown that eating a plant based, nutritionally dense diet can change gene expression.

I am not a scientist but for myself while I will occasionally indulge in a piece of fish (and frozen yogurt and more than occasionally chocolate), I try to use flaxseed as source of Omega 3s and am trying to stick with a plant based diet.