View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #63
Karen t

Hi bobbi,

I've had lots of time to think about Herceptin. Just finished #90 of my weekly infusions.

One thing that "got" me in your message was how many docs attribute things to old age.... Give us a break.

Being bombarded with chemicals has to have some effect on how the body and mind function. Just how much effect there is on memory has not, thus far, been established.

Based solely on personal experience, my feeling is that my particular types of memory loss are mostly related to stress. Many times I am too stessed or preoccupied to hear information in the first place so, of course, I won't be remembering it.

The other memory problem I have is inability to remember common words. I really think this is also stress-related. When a person is under stress, it's difficult to focus on things other than whatever it is that is causing the stress. This is good: It helps save lives in the face of grave or imminent danger. For many of us, however, the stress is underlying rather than imminent and tends to creep into all daily activity (a real nuisance).

I am not ashamed to be having problems like inability to remember words. After all the things that I/you/we have gone through, we are entitled to be a little frazzled and we are entitled to a little love and understanding.

My coping mechanism is to have a sense of humor. When I cannot remember a word, I substitute the word "bucket." Don't ask me how that word ever came up or how I can ALWAYS remember it, but it works! My husband has become "smart" enough to even figure out what word I really mean when I use "bucket" in conversation, e.g., "Could you hand me the 'bucket,' I can't quite reach it?"

I hope this encourages you to hang in there and to be proud and happy that you are alive and can even be thinking of going back to work.

Love you!!!!!! ^,^
Karen t is offline   Reply With Quote