Thread: Just for fun...
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #53
Diane Nathan

This is a wonderful Forum for us all to express ourselves. I have either volunteered or worked in the health field for women. In the early 80,s while living in Dallas, I helped with the start up of the Susan Komen Foundation by helping women who did not have insurance get mammograms at Parkland Hospital. My Husband was COO of Parkland at the time. From there I worked for 2 Gyn Oncologists until we moved to Florida. I then worked at a Breast Center in Miami part time until 1998. Our youngest went off to college, we have 3 wonderful children and 4 Grandchildren, so my husband and I decided to move to a Country Club Community in Delray Beach. Several of us in our community started making Breast Cancer Bracelets to sell and a yearly golf tourny to raise money for Cancer Reaseach. Little did I know that 2 years later, in 2003, I would be diagnosed with BC........How it hits home! My community and Country Club has been absolutely wonderful, raising more money each year. It has become like a full time job to several of us.

My Husband has been wonderful and stayed home for 2 months helping me decide what to do but he had to return to work which included traveling (he helps hospitals that are in financial trouble) so my daughter who lives in Dallas and her 2 children moved in with me for 7 months during treatment. She litteraly gave up her life so I wouldn't be alone. I just had to mention how important family and support is, especially at a time like this and how grateful I am to have it. This site is part of this wonderful support system.

Thank you all for sharing.
Diane Nathan
Diagnosed at 55 in 2003