View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Research Shows Patients May Live Longer with Hospice and Palliative Care

Trying to digest this, realizing it's from PR wire via NHPCO. Thoughts like..is this a benefit from teh service or an indictment of the ineffectiveness/harshness of many standard treatments. I also see the term palliative care term referring to a service alongside standard care. So I've come to understand that as treating symptoms to make standard care manageable. I could see that making treatment less likely to be delayed or stopped and leading to longer survival and better quality of life.
But my perception of hospice remains more closely aligned with, as the NHPCO guy says "giving up". Seems to be how it worked for my grandmother. When she was having breathing difficuties, they called hospice instead of an ambulance and the meds took a long time to get there and she died.

My Dad is in a nursing care facility and a particularly insensitive nurse there suggested 5 years ago that we elect hospice and not treat Dad for the next UTI. Ya know..kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I just got done having dinner with him.

But I'm open to other interpretations based on reality. And my apologies if this is rubbing anyone the wrong way. Not intended.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote