View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
CarolineC

Diet since my diagnosis

When I was first diagnosed in 2009 I did an overhaul of my lifestyle. Part of the plan was no caffeine, cut down on sugar or only have honey or brown sugar, no more soy milk, free-range chicken and eggs, upping my fruits and especially cruciferous veg. I feel that the soy milk was making my already precarious hormones be tipped more toward estrogen dominance. Why? Because in 2006 when I was feeling really crappy I started some dietary changes and one of them was starting to drink soy milk because I thought my stomach upset was caused by dairy. That is when I started losing weight; 10 pounds in four months and 15 more in the next 2 years before diagnosis. I was 140 pounds and dropped to 118.
I have a very sensitive system that seems to react to anything, good or bad, and I try to steer clear of foods that contain soy since my tumour was very estrogen positive (90%). In my support group we discuss the controversy around soy and have decided to avoid it because it's in everything, even as a filler in vitamins. I am not saying the soy caused my cancer; there were a myriad of things that were going on. A hormone consultant told me 5 months before I was diagnosed that although my estrogen was okay, because I had lower than the lowest progesterone, it made me estrogen dominant. We're all so different and we're being told as a society to eat this or take that without knowing our hormone status and how those things may affect it.
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote