View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #75
AlaskaAngel

Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

Hi Lizm100,

I just wanted to post a link about a study that explains the importance of reducing carbs in particular because of its focus on the importance of carbs for certain populations of overweight people, those who have developed insulin resistance.

I think your observation about carbs was correct for me. I have gradually eliminated most foods from my diet that contain any significant amount of carbs because I believe it makes a difference. But the insulin resistance now is so great for me that even that consistent sacrifice is not enough, even when combined with an hour of brisk walking 3 miles per day plus weight resistance exercise, and a caloric limit of around 1,000 calories of low-carb diet per day.

In my personal effort to reach proper weight for me I have made a point of making changes that could be done by the greatest number of overweight breast cancer patients -- which means, no fancy exercise machines and no expensive personal trainers, as well as sticking to exercise that can be done by humans who have to work an 8-hour day as well as handle other ordinary demands. The use of inexpensive weights, Therabands, exercise balls, walking, bicycles, skates, music, etc. all fit that profile and are useful.

However, my metabolism has gradually continued to slow down more and more and now what would have produced weight loss when I initially completed treatment at age 51 is not enough, and even the slightest break from any of it produces significant weight gain, with no weight loss at all despite hours and hours of going hungry and loss of extensive time used for exercise.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/192317.php

However, I think this is what is gradually happening to me despite the consistent low-carb, low-fat diet and exercise:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/200489.php

"We hope to identify when a person becomes pre-diabetic, before they go on to develop diabetes."

I think I am pre-diabetic. My lab results clearly prove that I am eating a primarily vegetarian, low-carb, low-fat diet. I am getting absolutely consistent significant daily exercise. But the steadily slowing of metabolism with chemopause over the 8 years since diagnosis is resulting in a situation where the insulin resistance is greater and greater and there is no flexibility to drop more calories or add more exercise (or both) on a consistent basis without damage to the joints and support frame.

Primarily I want to point out that I think you are right about carb sensitivity, and why carbs are key for some of us, even though eventually reducing carbs and increasing exercise may not be sufficient.

Thanks

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote