View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #20
kelli

Hi, I 'm stage 2b, er/pr +, 3 + nodes, multifocal, her2-3+, grade 3..diagnosed May 03. I am enrolled in the B31 trial as well, but got randomized to the control group. I got 4AC, then 4 Taxol. I did not get Herceptin, but so far I am fine. I can tell you I have mixed emotions about all the Herceptin talk. I wanted Herceptin, thinking I would be doing all I could possibly do to fight my disease. I was taken aback when I learned a few months ago people were getting Herceptin "off-trial". I inquired to my onc, as well as another at a major cancer center about taking the drug without a trial. It was not offered. I didn't even think it was possible since it was not FDA-approved for early stage. I'm obviously happy for anyone who has received this drug and living cancer-free. But I feel a bit cheated out of something I wanted. Sorry to get this off my chest. I also had a friend I met soon after I was diagnosed, who was also participating in the trial. I asked her many questions about it. Unfortunately she died this past fall after about a year and a half post-diagnosis. My heart breaks for her family, knowing the drug could have been accessible. I asked my oncs about taking the Herceptin now, after the fact. They did not have any clear answers as to whether it would help. They will be attending the Oncology conference next week. Hopefully I'll have some answers soon. Has anyone here taken Herceptin after they've finished all chemo? I'm grateful to have a forum to discuss this very issue. Thanks, Kelli