View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
*_Tessa_*

I was diagnosed in July 2002 with stage IIa, Her2neu+++ , a tiny .5 mm tumor, and 10 of 16 lymph nodes affected. I had a lumpectomy, 3 cycles of Epirubicin and Taxotere (administered separately, on consecutive days), then 6 weeks of radiation, then another three cycles of Epirubicin and Taxotere - for maximal length of baldness...

All that finished at the beginning of January 2003, and at the end of the month I started my Herceptin, one-year arm of the European HERA-study. I got it at three-week intervals and had absolutely no ill effects except perhaps a bit of weakening of my fingernails, and the sniffles. I got 18 doses, ending in late January 2004, and have been disease free (THANK GOODNESS) ever since.

I think every woman who is Her2neu positive should very very seriously consider getting herceptin. DON'T be deterred by the possible side effects, unless your heart is indeed weak. None of the women in the study here, as far as I can determine from chats with the cardiologst, has had any cardiac ill effects at all. And if you do show any problems, they will simply stop the Herceptin.