View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
caya

Let's look at the data here -

# 1- hey, we all know that Her 2neu+ is a more aggresive cancer, I'm not surprised that after 5 years the Her2+ women had a higher rate of recurrence - DFS at 70% versus 95% of Her2 negative - but again -

#2 - Were these women (presumably stage 1 or 2, since they were node-negative) on Herceptin? chemo/Herceptin? That is very important to know, because the HERA trials with early stagers, both node+ and node-, had overall survival at 92.4% and DFS at 80.6% after 2 years. (the only data they had, still waiting for longer stats). An article on breastcancer.org from Genetch Inc. dated 2006-11-17 - "The studies have shown that 87 percent of women treated with Herceptin and chemo were disease-free after three-and-a-half years, compared with 71 percent of women treated with chemo alone, the company said. (nothing about nodes)

# 4 - Another comment from Dr. Sandra M. Swain in an article at www.patternsofcare.com/2006/1/adjuvant-trastuzumab.asp - "In the HERA trial, approximately 30 percent of the patients had node-negative disease. The HERA trial was very strongly positive for efficacy with sequential trastuzumab in the patients with node-negative disease."

# 3 - I wonder if they have information on regular axillary node dissections. SLN biopsy can miss up to 10% of cancer cells, according to what I have researched.

# 4 - I wish they had information on MRM - I am assuming "primary tumour resection" means a lumpectomy.

I think I have raised a few issues here. Like we are always saying, we are rewriting the stats every day - you'll see, the 5 year rates in 5 years from now will be great, because we'll all have been on Herceptin (and possibly Tykerb).
Have a great weekend everyone -
Caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote