View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #33
NEDenise

Smile Re: Surgery Friday...any advice?

Thank you, All my HER2 friends!!
I just went back and reread what I posted on Sunday. Oh my! If we ever want Congress to agree to anything, just slip them a little of whatever I had!!
I went back and edited it in red so you could see what I meant to say as opposed to what I actually wrote. And don't be kind...I proofread and changed things around on Sunday too...I thought it sounded fine then!! Like I said...good drugs.

I'm not getting to go home as planned because I have a bit of an infection. So, 1 they want to get that under control before I can go, and 2. I have to be afebrile (my cool new word of the day...means without a fever, but sounds so much more important!!) any way I have to be afebrile for 24 hours before they'll let me get my Herceptin. So I have my fingers and toes crossed for the antibiotics to kill the germs and calm that fever!!

Everyone here is very, very nice. And professional...I'm in good hands ---funny aside---because both of the surgeons who worked on me, also teach, they each brought several young doctors along for the surgery. At the beginning, there were 2 nurses, 1 nursing student, 2 fully accredited surgeons, 4 surgeons doing their fellowship under those surgeons, 2 anesthesiologists, and 5 other young doctors in various states of readiness to "cut" solo. (I asked the scrub nurse for a final headcount in post-op)

I forgot to check, but I bet I was the headliner on the marquee out front of the hospital.............

Ladies and Gentleman
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
is proud to present
DENISE'S BREAST SURGERY!
starring
Dr. Brian C & Dr. Joseph C
...and a cast of thousands!

Hmmm... on second thought...I'm pretty sure I don't have marquee insurance, so that would be out of pocket. They can't charge me unless I asked for it, right? I'd better check with Blue Cross.

Have a terrific day everyone. Once I heal from this, and get that radiation "monkey" off my back...I can start feeling like me again!!

Hugs all around!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote