View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
Paula O

What Can We do to Prevent and Treat Chemo Induced Neuropathy?

I am trying to figure out how to best protect myself against chemo induced neuropathy which hit me pronto, right after the first dose of Taxol (just had weekly dose 2 out of 12 a few days ago). I started off this time with residual neuropathy from past treatment with Taxotare and Carboplatin in 2011 and I know this kind of thing is cumulative. My oncologist basically says nothing works to prevent neuropathy: not supplements not cryotherapy (cold pack socks and gloves changed out every 15 mins during chemo), zip, nada, big zero nothing. Like many oncologists, he does not like the use of any vitamins, anti-oxidants, juicing, green tea etc during chemo and would not approve of me experimenting with any of the below I am posting here. I do not like the idea of doing nothing and it seems like pro-active damage control is in order. I know exercise is supposed to help and I'm walking daily.

I am copying and pasting links and snippets from my research from the internet and wanted to ask if you guys used any of these supps during chemo, if you felt that it helped with neuropathy, and if your oncologist approved them or if you just took them without their knowledge or approval. Does anyone have an integrative oncologist they can consult about preventing/treating neuropathy and pass along their response? Thanks for any input you guys have to share.

I'm hoping my compiling this info can be of help to those of us wanting to prevent and treat chemo induced neuropathy. I would like to defend myself from neuropathy as best as I am able, hopefully without compromising the effectiveness of the chemo. I'd also like to avoid drugs like Lyrica and Gabopentin if possible. Taking them while on chemo almost seems like punching out your "check engine light" signaling a problem needing to be addressed. I've sat next to people in chemo telling me of their neuropathy woes: how their hands and feet feel like they are on fire or being zapped with electricity, they can't button their bottons, they are having problems with falling, etc. Last time my neuropathy symptoms mostly reversed but for some people it's a permanent issue.

There must be something that can be done about this!

Paula
Blogging my way through this journey: http://jpoliver.com/wordpress/

-------------------------

Copied and pasted from:

https://integrativeoncology-essentia...mo-neuropathy/

Supplements:
You may be able to help your body repair CIPN nerve injury and reduce CIPN side effects by consuming certain foods, supplements and botanical compounds that are loaded with antioxidants and amino acids.
**IMPORTANT: Before starting any supplement, first discuss this with your doctors**
N-acetylcysteine (NAC):
N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a powerful antioxidant and a precursor to glutathione, an antioxidant made by our body. By supplying our body with the building blocks for glutathione, studies report that NAC may be able to protect our nerves from CIPN. To date, definitive evidence on the effectiveness of NAC in CIPN management is still not known.
Doses: 1000-2000 mg per day
Lipoic Acid (LA), Alpha-Lipoic Acid or R-Lipoic Acid:
Lipoic acid (LA) is a potent antioxidant. Some data suggest that LA may be beneficial in reducing diabetic neuropathy, however it is less clear if LA is helpful in patients with CIPN. To date, definitive evidence on the effectiveness of LA in CIPN management is still not known. The most biologically active form of LA for nerves is called R-Lipoic Acid (R-LA.) CIPN symptoms should start to improve within 4-6 weeks (per Harvard/Dana Farber Cancer Institute). If you don’t notice any improvement after that time, it probably won’t be helpful for you by continuing it any longer.
Doses: R-Lipoic Acid (240 – 480 mg daily) or Alpha-Lipoic Acid (500 – 1000 mg daily)
Curcumin:
Curcumin is the main active phytonutrient extract from turmeric (the yellow-orange root that gives curry powder its distinctive color.) Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound (read more about the amazing anti-cancer properties of curcumin in our post.) Studies have shown that curcumin has efficacy in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy and possibly in CIPN. It is important to buy a curcumin formulation that is designed to have a greater bioavailability than standard curcumin formulations, as curcumin is not absorbed well across the bowel wall.
Doses: 400-800 mg per day
also see link: https://integrativeoncology-essentia...apy-radiation/

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine):
Studies suggest that vitamin B6 may alleviate neuropathy (not specifically CIPN). Clinical trials are underway to determine if vitamin B6 (50 mg, 3-times per day) is effective in preventing CIPN. To date, definitive evidence on the effectiveness of vitamin B6 in CIPN management is still not known.
Dose: 50 to 100 mg per day. If you are taking a multivitamin and/or B Complex, check the amount of B6 so that you do not go above 100 mg total per day (as higher levels of B6 can actually cause neuropathy symptoms.)
Vitamin B12:
Studies suggest that vitamin B12 may alleviate neuropathy (not specifically CIPN). Clinical trials are underway to determine if vitamin B12 is effective in preventing CIPN. The natural form of B12 found in food is methylcobalamin, which appears to be the most effective form to protect our nerves.
Dose: (methylcobalamin) 1-2 mg (or 1-2 mL) per day
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (EPA, DHA):
Omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA and docosahexaenoic acid or DHA) are found in high quantities in cold water fish (i.e. salmon, mackerel, sardines, cod) and krill (a tiny shrimp). EPA and DHA are called “essential fatty acids.” Essential fatty acids are not able to be made by our body (they have to come from our diet) and are important components of our cell membranes, including the protective nerve sheath covering (myelin). It is almost impossible in our Western diet (which is typically very low in EPA and DHA) to consume a high enough amount of these fatty acids to repair and protect our nerves from CIPN. Taking a high-quality (low-toxin content) omega-3 fatty acid supplement is therefore recommended (check out the Environmental Defense Fund’s list of safe fish oil supplements.) Certain vegetables, nuts and seeds also have an omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), but this fatty acid is not in the 2 forms (EPA and DHA) that our body uses. ALA can be converted in our body to EPA and DHA, but this conversion is not very efficient. Most experts agree that consuming foods or taking a supplement in the EPA and DHA form is far superior to those in the ALA form that requires an inefficient conversion to be useful. Studies show that EPA and DHA are able to protect against CIPN when taken during chemotherapy.
Doses: 4000 mg daily, providing at least 1400 mg EPA and 1000 mg DHA
Vitamin E (Tocopherols and Tocotrienols):

Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that has been reported to be effective in the prevention of CIPN. The term “vitamin E” refers to a family of eight related, lipid-soluble, antioxidant compounds widely present in plants. The tocopherol and tocotrienol subfamilies are each composed of alpha, beta, gamma, and delta fractions having unique biological effects.
Doses: 400 IU per day (with around 200 mg gamma tocopherol).
Glutamine (L-Glutamine):

Glutamine is an amino acid that has been reported to be effective in the prevention of CIPN. Although glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body, it has been found that many people with cancer have low levels of glutamine. Glutamine, usually in the form of L-glutamine, is available by itself or as part of a protein supplement. These come in powder, capsule, tablet, or liquid form.
Doses: (L-Glutamine) 10 grams, three-times-per-day or 15 grams, twice-per-day
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote