Thread: brain mets
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
Rolepaul

Re: brain mets

Brain mets stink. They are so scary and if you read literature and talk to doctors you get depressed. Here is a story I hope will inspire you.
Nina had a large brain met diagnosed on 11/2/2009. We did surgical excision, Cyberkife, and Tykerb/Xeloda. A couple of whack a mole radiations in the spring of 2009 and November 2010. Things looked stable, but in October 2011 started to have some hip/leg/back pain. Found three lesions on the brain surface and 20-30 satellite lesions in the spinal nerves. Went to the war room and came out with Intrathecal Herceptin and Topotecan. Got to the correct dosing and 90 days later saw no atypical cells, clean MRI scans, and other indications of disease no longer showing its head. Flare up at two points on labor day, but these are resolved. All I can tell you is to start at 40 mg of Herceptin via either an Ommaya reservoir or Spinal tap, with steroids for 3-4 weeks. Then go up to 1.5 mg/kg of Intrathecal Herceptin. In those cases where this has been done, the results are stunningly good. Have your doctor contact Dr. Loghin at MD Anderson Brain and Spine as she has four patients currently in treatment.

I am not here to save the world, but I am here to do good. I want to pay it forward for a wife that is alive 13 months after she was given a 90 day life span. We are living within 2.5 miles of her mother and I am enjoying new work. It is important to me to have others treated that have similar critical diagnosis. IF I can help you, that is just another smile for me for the day.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote