View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
Becky

Re: Need some perspective, please

Oh Flori

I am so sorry you are feeling bad. The side effects you are suffering from are probably cumulative from the length of time taking the meds in your treatment plan.

I would review each symptom versus each medication you are taking. Then you and your onc can decide what is best to do.

For example, Avastin causes high blood pressure and headaches while the Tykerb causes the diarrhea (and hence is probably contributing to the dehydration).

I think that eliminating just one drug at a time and see how you feel over a couple weeks might be the way to go. For example, eliminating the Avastin may cause the headaches and blood pressure concerns to subside. If over a month that doesn't happen, then another plan needs to be undertaken. I would be hesitant to take away Herceptin or Tykerb first because you are Her2 and they are anti-Her2 (and the Tykerb may be stabilizing the brain met). Perhaps taking Avastin away may make you well enough to take 4 or 5 Tykerb per day after a month's time or so.

I would recommend trying to do without a drug for a couple of weeks and see how you feel before changing up everything. If your onc wants to change up everything, you can still try an elimination plan and wait a couple of weeks while investigating and pondering your doctor's ideas.

You are an inspiration to all of us and I know you will find yourself in a good place again.

Huge hug to you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote