View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
evlin75

Re: attn: Rolepaul, Marvass et al Review article on IT herceptin stresses need 4 ClT

Susan had Perjeta and TDM1 (kadcyla) and most all the other new medications floating about out there in chemo-land. Perjeta did not seem to work at all for her - or even the kadcyla.
But she has been dealing with this since JUNE 2003 when diagnosed with invasive ductal. Went to her hip less than two years later.
She received the traditional chemotherapy (red devil) followed by radiation in 2003. Herceptin not approved yet for newly diagnosed. Started on it after mets to bone.
2009 surgery for a large tennis ball tumor on the cerebellum - the whole brain radiation. She recovered nicely.
She has received almost all the medications out there floating about in chemo-land. Even some oral chemo that did not seem to work well.
She has tried to stay away from the taxanes and other IV type chemo.
It was April of 2012 when she was diagnosed with the lepto-meningeal carcinoma. The doctor at that time said just a few weeks prognoses. I began researching immediately and the doctor also noted the Chicago trial of IT therapy of Herceptin at the same time I found the IT possibility.
Had to go to another doctor out of the trial to get a higher dose. Hard to find a brave doctor who will go beyond current protocol.
It has been a long journey with the first ommaya getting infected. and the topecan not doing the job.
Had to switch to depocyt for a few weeks. Many bad side effects from the Depocyt those weeks with steroids necessary. But the Herceptin is now used alone and she is getting stronger. 80 mg IT seems to be holding her.
The Nano Knife is being put on hold as the
Abraxine/Herceptin combo is shrinking the clavicle tumor - now 1/4 the size after two treatments.
Susan is
feeling good and looking forward to a nice holiday.
I am glad she had the Taxanes in reserve to fall back on.
EV
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote