View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #28
Annemarie

I would too would say that cancer has been a hardship for not just me but my entire family. I was 32 at diagnosis. I have one child and would have loved to have more. A lot of dreams are crushed or cut short due to cancer. There are a few blessings along the way like most things in life.

My take on The View are a bit different than those who posted. I am not familar with bc and bone mets. I saw the episode and I believe Rosie said what the stats are for survival with that diagnosis. From reading the posts I see that that was inferred as a loss of hope. I think the stats are what they are and each case is a bit different. That being said anecdotal stats are not real numbers they can't be reproduced stastically. So knowing someone who beat the odds does not make Rosies information wrong.

I have had brain mets three times in six years. My neurosurgeon told me that my prognosis was not very good. He did tell me that when CA pts. get only brain mets they seem to do well. Knowing the stats was very sobering. I actually think that by knowing my stats has given me the opportunity to live my life differently. Like many who have posted I see my time very valueable now. I no longer take good health for granted and I think I am less concerned about things that don't really matter. My oncologist once said to me,"If I think you are going to die I owe it to you to tell you. Would you really want to go to work if you only had two more weeks to live?" We both chuckled but there was a lot of truth to that. So for me the truth helped me in the fight.
Annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote