View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
R.B.

Re: Iodine deficiency ! - falling intakes - goitregens - competition bromine and fluo

Hi 'Lizabeth

Hi I have got and read one of his books - it was a while ago - it is a fascinating and extremely thought provoking book !!! - and looking on my bookshelf it is not there which reminds me I think I lent it to someone; which I must stop doing because they sometimes do not come back )-: and then are not there when I need them.

On a personal basis I agree with you - flour supplementation would be good (what used to be done), of course providing the option of iodine free flour for the few who may be harmed by iodine; those with damaged thyroids I understand - flour is probably better than bread - as you say a great way to include the pizza generation (-: LOL - the health rewards would seem to far outweigh the risks.

Perchlorate is also found in some fertilisers.

I am not sure that bromide has no uses in the body; there is much more bromine than iodine at least some marine foods (it is a while since I looked at bromine) - it is unlike nature not to have uses for things that are relatively common - we just do not yet know what that role is: and is bromide a competitor rather than a blocker because it is likely to be smaller than iodine so a less ideal fit all of which comes back to having adequate iodine . . . and according to a researcher the importer is very very old and fairly unsophisticated and just works on size on that basis I surmise it is not the smaller halogens (chlorine and fluorine) that are directly a problem but when they are attached to other things eg perchlorate is chlorine attached to 4 oxygen (as pointed out in the abstract). . . which is why I was wondering if chlorine in other forms more common forms is a blocker (see above) . . . and viz chloride in salt and if so how . . . it is all so complex . . . I had seen lots of suggestions chlorine in the generality was a problem but not a paper or medical report so was hesitant to accept it as fact; as sometime things that are perceived and regularly reported to be fact are not as in lots of polyunsaturated Omega 6 rich oil being very good for you !

Many thanks for the abstract and your interest. (-:

PS selenium is fundamental to iodine and antioxidant function and appears to help protect against damage during iodine processing by the body

Last edited by R.B.; 10-20-2013 at 02:36 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote