View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
R.B.

Re: Iodine deficiency ! - falling intakes - goitregens - competition bromine and fluo

And one from 1970. Apparently there has not been the amount of new research into iodine in the last 30-40 years one might have expected: iodine / iodide cannot be patented so has limited income potential, which poses a significant question - how as a society do we fund important research into fundamental questions of biology which are unlikely to yield financial reward ?

For I in the paper below insert iodine /iodide

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/1....20-5-ga6ad01a

Document details

Title
Iodine metabolism and breast cancer.
Authors
Eskin, B. A.
Journal
Transactions N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1970 Vol. 32 No. 8 pp. 911-947
Record Number

Abstract

Experiments in virgin Sprague-Dawley rats show that I deficiency, particularly in the presence of sex steroids causes mammary hyperplasia. The mammary effects of dietary I lack are noticable after 6 wk. The I deficiency causes earlier onset of dimethylbenzanthracene-induced mammary tumours and prevents the therapeutic effect of oestrogen on carcinogenesis. In mammary dysplasias caused by I lack, the uptake of I by mammary tissue increases and the DNA and RNA contents increase. Thyroid stimulating hormone seems to be involved in control of I metabolism directly at the mammary level. I replacement prevents mammary dysplasias or once established the dysplasia is improved by chronic I therapy. In man, demographic studies indicate a correlation between areas of increased breast cancer and areas with endemic goitre. Clinical studies using mammography and thermography show that carcino-matous breast lesions can be improved with adequate thyroid or I treatment but that oestrogen treatment may have an adverse effect. GSK.

Last edited by R.B.; 11-12-2013 at 05:01 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote