View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
Jackie07

Re: "Affordable" Care Act

I received a letter from my health plan (affiliated to the hospital)that my Medicare Advantage plan will not change (except the premium which they won't know until next year when all are enrolled). Hubby received a notice from Blue Cross/Blue Shield that he needed to shop for a new plan. But the Website was down when we tried to check it out. Glad the deadline had been extended ...

The affordable care act seems to be something similar to HMO. All the insurance plans offered by my (ex-)employers had been HMO except once or twice when I was offered Blue Cross / Blue Shield. I did not choose the HMO plan of that hospital when I was first insured through my job in the late 80's. I thought the other plan had offered more choices of doctors and hospitals (not realizing the one in town is a top-notch hospital/clinic) After I had had my brain tumor surgery done in the big hospital in town (was fortunate that a Johns Hopkins trained neurosurgeon happened to be there - he stayed there for only 4 years and I was 'lucky' to be his patient. We had to do a special contract [was pushed around by the insurance company clerks until my boss called the Vice President of the Insurance Company and hinted about possible law suit] After that horrible experience, I switched to the HMO offered by the big hospital in town. It now has plenty of clinics spreading in the region and I know I can get top quality care here (My Gamma-knife Radiosurgery in 2001 was contracted out to a facility two hours away in the big city.)

The insurance rules and regulations were pretty good except that patients weren't told of their rights. My neurosurgeon, who happened to be a friend of mine through the local Chinese Club, had told us that "They should pay!" when we mentioned perhaps we needed to try a fund-raising since we couldn't even get through the receptionist on the phone to talk about the special contract (to have the surgery done locally). Yet none of my doctors (including the neurologist who'd told us he would only recommend this particular neurosurgeon and the ones whom I'd known through the Club) would get themselves involved in the process. Hopefully the Affordable Care Act will help resolve some of the issues. The preventive clause/choice of doctors looks very much like an HMO plan to me. I'm wondering whether the 'contracts' between hospitals can still be done when necessary?

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 12-30-2013 at 02:08 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote