View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: I think cancer treatment can be in humane

Linn65,

This is why we are celebrating the approval of Kadcyla, our newest treatment for Her2+ MBC. For many women this treatment is more effective and less toxic.

Why I applaud your thinking of ways to improve the cancer treatment experience, I encourage you to find ways to advance the standard of care.

We, the patients, can advance treatment by joining clinical trials that offer less toxic options for our cancer.

Keep in mind that you were offered the treatment that was the standard of care that was available at your choice of medical facilities. Other treatments are available, including more advanced treatment in radiation therapy.

The challenge with being newly diagnosed is that most shocked, traumatized new cancer patients do not understand the system. Thus, the tendency to blindly follow the first doctor's recommendation. And the tendency "to hit cancer with the strongest, most toxic treatment" available.

Depending on the characteristics on your cancer, that might, or might not be the case.

I strongly recommend anyone who is newly diagnosed to get several opinions before deciding on a course of treatment. Ask about the clinical trial options available at the treatment facility. With targeted therapies such as Herceptin, Tykerb and Perjeta and now Kadcyla, we can start questioning if chemo really should be standard of care for early stage, and primary breast cancer. Nothing will change immediately. But we, the patient, need to direct the industry by voting with our dollars.

Phase 3 trials can give a solid advantage in disease free progression and overall survival. Many insurance companies will cover the cost of travel, even out of state.

I ask you to consider joining a vaccine trial when you finish Herceptin, or perhaps a study such as the ENERGY study about diet, exercise and breast cancer recurrence rates.

Be The Change that you wish for!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote