View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
'lizbeth

Re: Anybody else ER+/PR+/HER2+++ BRCA 2 +?

I am curious - why did you opt out of the Platinum Salt and only chose the Taxane for chemotherapy? I have always heard that Carboplatin or Cisplatin have effectiveness for the BRCA cancers.

I went on the National Cancer Institute's website and found a ton of info on the BRCA mutations.

Quote:
Because the products of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are involved in DNA repair, some investigators have suggested that cancer cells with a harmful mutation in either of these genes may be more sensitive to anticancer agents that act by damaging DNA, such as cisplatin. In preclinical studies, drugs called PARP inhibitors, which block the repair of DNA damage, have been found to arrest the growth of cancer cells that have BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations. These drugs have also shown some activity in cancer patients who carry BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations, and researchers are continuing to develop and test these drugs.
I have a lot to say about the chemo brain. I was not aggressive enough about managing it with my medical team. I should have dose reduced the taxane sooner and skipped the final 2 treatments. I see that you have done 7/12 treatments? Are these weekly? Every 3 weeks? Most have 4 - 6 treatments total on the 3 week schedule. What's the story with 12 treatments?

I sacrificed significant cognitive function. I feel it reduced my quality of life for a minimum of 5 years, especially my work life.

I am not going to tell you more chemo is better. It doesn't really work like that.

You've already done 7 chemos and have a plan for prevention with the oophrectomy and the double mastectomy. And you will be on Herceptin for the full year. Sounds like a wise plan to me.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote