View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
Relieved

Smile Re: Herceptin hangover

Hello
This is my first posting, but have been reading the site for months looking for an answer to the terrible joint pain I have been experiencing. I finished chemo 10 months ago, then finished my ongoing 3 weekly Herceptin 3 months ago. Over the last 6 months I have been having increasing joint pain, and associated swelling of joints...particularly the small joints in my fingers. My oncologists swore it was not the Herceptin causing the pain, and I was repeatedly tested for arthritis and similar problems ,all returning negative. One physiotherapist, and my pharmacist both mentioned the possibility that it could be Oestrogen deficiency, and although my Oncologist agreed that was a possibility, I was told there was "no way" I could go back on Hormone replacement therapy.
After reaching the stage that I thought I would need to have a regular carer come to my home ( I was so "disabled" ) the doctors finally agreed to recommencing HRT. One month later I am almost back to normal.

My cancer was very early HER2+. When I was diagnosed my general practitioner took me straight off HRT, and I started chemo immediately (Taxotere, Carboplatin,) with Herceptin every 3 weeks. Apparently the problem was the combination of coming off HRT and having chemo at the same time.
I am so very happy now that I am getting back to normal, and i thought I would let others know, that for me there was (at last) an answer (with a slightly increased risk of another cancer).
Relieved is offline   Reply With Quote