View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #16
cgregor

Another Canadian on-line

Just discovered this website and decided to respond to your particular email given our kindred Canadian connection, albeit I am communicating from the west coast (Vancouver) and not the east coast (although I did visit Newfoundland last year and loved it). I was 45 when I was diagnosed in Dec 2001 (Xmas eve) with Stage IIIa, HER2, er+ (weak response) , 5 cm tumor, and 6/11 positive lymph nodes. Had 3 surgeries, chemo and radiation. Fast forward 4 1/2 years and so far so good -no signs of recurrence. I did not receive Herceptin at the time because it was not widely used as an adjuvant treatment in Canada, excepting people on clinical trials... so others like you who receive herceptin will have even better odds than me.
I thought that I was "toast" when I was diagnosed and started preparing a list of "suitable" available women for my husband when I was gone . I am thrilled to still be here and am grateful for this gift of time, no matter how long it might be. My experience with a life-threatening disease has had a tremendous impact on my life - it has helped me address my fears (I lost my mother to cancer when she was 56), clarify my priorities, make the most of every day, and open my heart to others. I wish that this had not happened to me - denial of my mortality was more fun but I know that I have a much deeper appreciation of my life, and of my relationships than I had in the past. I am hopeful that I am around for many more years to take advantage of this "new" insight and encourage you to keep hoping as well..Carla
PS I am turning 50 later this year and am thrilled to bits. I cannot understand how anyone can be sad about such an awesome milestone.
cgregor is offline   Reply With Quote