View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
PeaceMomma

Re: Help! Anyone on TCHP for early stage neoadjunct

Hi Teal,

I am on TCHP, diagnosed on March 19th, Her2+/ER+/PR+, getting my chemo every 21 days as well. Just had my second round last Thursday. I'll do my best to answer your questions:

Q. What meds were you given before & during?
I was given decadron (steroid) to take the day before/of/after and they gave me additional steroids in the infusion the first time. Additionally, they gave me benadryl, pepcid, emend, and aloxi (for reaction and anti-nausea). They also told me to take Claritan the day of (and for 5 days after) because I received a neulasta shot the day after infusion (to help with white blood cells). I was given zofran and phenegran to take home for nausea (used the zofran, have not yet used the phenegran). They also gave me some povident (extra fluoride by rx) for my teeth.

Q. Side effects?
The anti-nausea drugs appeared to work well, so most of my side-effects have been fatigue and brain fog, dry tongue/mouth, diarrhea (for which I took Imodium) and, for me, a bonus "extra" period, which was quite heavy and I ended up anemic (I'm still pre-menopausal... for now).

Q. How to manage side effects?
The zofran helped with any nausea I had the couple days after, didn't need it by Saturday night (my infusions are on Thursdays, too). The dry tongue - I had a real struggle with this the first round. My tongue was so overly sensitive, I made it worse by eating things that aggravated it the first few days - try to stay with mild things. Did that this time and it's going much better. For the dry mouth, a baking soda/salt rinse helped as well as a Biotene mouth spray (lubricant), which helped for when I was talking (which would make my mouth drier). Brain fog - haven't found anything that helps with that except time. The Imodium helped me get the diarrhea under control.

Q. WILL I FEEL WORSE OVER TIME, AFTER EACH ROUND?
I'm wondering the same thing, so I can't really help with that part yet. I've only had 2 and this one was a little rougher on me, but I think a lot of that has to do with the anemia - I am feeling very weak this time. Hoping to get that under control and maybe next time will be better?

Q. Were you able to work during TCHP treatment?
I have been going to work, but I had to take today off and I will work from home tomorrow (thankfully, I have that option, or I would have to take another day). Last time, I went back to work on Monday, but in retrospect, I should have taken that day off - would have made the rest of week much better.

Q. Did you get mouth sores? Were you able to eat?
I've been able to eat and other than aggravating my tongue, I have not had any mouth sores. The salt/soda water helped a great deal, I think. The first week after, the eating was difficult (bad taste in my mouth, things aggravating my tongue, etc), but after that, things were better.

Q. What should I eat?
Not sure what to advise on that - other than as many good-for-you things as possible - fruits, veggies, grains, etc. I started small with yogurt (and took a probiotic as this stuff will do a number on your gut), but I'm also fasting around my infusions, so my eating schedule might be a little different. I found applesauce, broth and yogurt with blueberries very easy to eat -along with other fresh fruits and cooked veggies. I'm adding in protein powder (suggested by the dietitian) as well.

Q. Steroids? Prior to chemo and during?
I was given steroids to take prior to and during. I think they helped.

I'm using "Chemo Cold Caps" in an effort (vain) to keep my hair. On their website, the woman who runs it has some tips (she did TCH): http://www.chemocoldcaps.com/lizzy-s-tips.html hopefully, you'll find some good tips there (that's where I got the salt/soda idea).

Hope that helps.
PeaceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote