View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
NEDenise

Re: Hospital stay & Hair Loss...makes for a full week:(

Jessica,
You've been on my mind a lot lately. Thank you so much for letting us know how you are.

I'm so sorry for all you've been through in your latest battles.
Losing your beautiful hair...AGAIN. Really?
Neutropenia and Staph AT THE SAME TIME? Seriously?

It's simply not fair that some of us just can't seem to catch a break. Rest assured that I'll be having some rather heated discussions with the Lord on your behalf, my friend. It's just one damn thing after another. Can't we fit a break in occasionally? I'm really struggling to believe that all the crap some of us are faced with is part of a grand plan.

And...I know people who make comments about "how good we look" mean well.
Of that I have no doubt.
But seriously...at this point we stage IV ladies are fighting for our lives...every minute of every day. I don't know about you, but I don't need to hear how "great" I look.
I don't look great.
I know it, they know it.

Again, I KNOW they mean well... but, here's a thought... maybe some of those Pink-tober Awareness millions could be devoted to making the public "aware" of what's okay to say to people fighting cancer, and what is perhaps not such a good idea.

Or maybe some of those millions could go toward making the public "aware" what kinds of help are actually helpful to people struggling with cancer-related illness. (like maybe cleaning and disinfecting your counters for you...so you don't have to risk touching germs)

Okay, my rant is over. Sorry Jessica. Your struggle just made me sooo angry when I read about it...I hope you read my post the way it's intended...with love and in solidarity.

Sending you all the healing energy I can focus your way.
Denise
PS - IMHO you have every right to mourn the loss of your hair. It's not vain, or silly. It's part of your identity, and a symbol of wellness...it doesn't fall out when things are going well. So, I mourn it with you.
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote