View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #24
AlaskaAngel

in support of more careful use of antibiotics

Dear Sandy,

I try to imagine what it would be like to lose my sister so suddenly, and I am so sorry at the news of your sister. I know you knew about the issue of staph infections but thank you especially in your time of hardship for as always bringing it to the attention of others who are immunocompromised.

So I will add a comment of my own about the issue of staph infections. One major reason the serious kind of staph infections have become more common is because so many people who come down with relatively minor illnesses that are very frequently viral in nature and do NOT benefit from antibiotics have pushed the doctors to give them antibiotics because they believe they might not have to put up with the minor illness for quite as long as it takes while their body fights it off on its own. This frequent use of antibiotics for the wrong reasons is resulting in more people who can become resistant to the first level of antibiotics and that ends up leaving only the ones used to fight the more serious kinds of staph infections. Doctors have been warning us about this problem for a long time. As I understand it, it has been decades since there has been the development of additional antibiotics.

AlaskaAngel

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 07-12-2006 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: grammar
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote