View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
StephN

Talking Brought up short by BC

Dear Sherry and ladies,
Your fears are quite normal and I was having just this discussion with one of the chaplains at my cancer center. (SHE went through breast cancer treatment in 2005/06 herself!)

The substance of that discussion is that I am pushing 60 and have had quite a rich and active life, but still want to fight this disease in every way I can. She is younger and relates more to what you all are saying about having young families, etc.

The stress is incredible and people with our diagnosis have it even harder than the more common forms of BC.

My chaplain is just getting to where she has the energy to do things like run and mountain bike again. She took a bad tumble mountain biking several weeks ago and the x-ray showed a couple of fractured ribs. Her pain was worse and she was complaining, thinking maybe she had some disease progression. A bone scan was finally ordered which showed NOT 2 ribs, but SIX ribs with TWO fractures each. Thus a bone scan is much more sensitive, and she was vindicated for her complaining.

All this was quite frightening, not to mention the discomfort. We also talked about the parallel with mental pain, that exists for us. The physical pain can be a distraction, but ups the fear level. Then there is the unknown...

I found that with time you just keep going and trying to enjoy life at every opportunity. But, you HAVE to cut yourself some slack from time to time to deal with the mental aspect. So, go ahead and come face to face with that fear, then put it back in its pigeon hole and go on to something that makes you feel good. Like decorate a little for Thanksgiving and look for some fun new recipes.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote