View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Meems67

Re: What to do with mouthsore from everolimus

My 11 year old son has been in an Everolimus drug study for almost two years as part of his regime to fight a dangerous, benign brain tumour. The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto gave him a mouth rinse to use as his mouth sores got very bad. They call it HSC Mouthwash and it is a pharmacist prepared concoction of straight lidocaine and cherry Kool Aid (to make it taste better). My son could not tolerate it at first because after he used it as a mouth rinse, his entire mouth would be numb and he could not eat or enjoy the taste of his food that way either...so, we figured out the best way for us was to spot treat the sores. We dip a Q-tip into the solution and let it drip directly on the sore and then rub more around the sore. It freezes the area for about an hour of comfort and we reapply as needed. It is more than enough time to eat and at the end of the day lets him fall asleep without fighting mouth pain. It has worked for us. He also rinses twice a day with a baking soda and water solution. Brushing his teeth is a challenge with the sores so we opted for a higher fluoride toothpaste called Prevident, so when we can successfully brush he's getting better fluoride protection. Fluoride bothers some peoples sores so a higher content may not be for everyone. I hope this helps you. It is a terrible side effect so I really hope you get some relief. Good Luck!
Meems67 is offline   Reply With Quote