View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
DLL

Oophorectomy v. Lupron/Zoladex

Hello, I'd appreciate any information in helping me make a decision. I am pre-menopausal (though still in chemopause.) My oncologist has always said that because I am HIGHLY ER+, I should have my ovaries removed if there is ever another reason to "go in there." (I am BRAC 1 & 2 negative.)

Now my gynecologist, taking into account my oncologist's statement about the ovaries, recommends removing the ovaries to shut off the estrogen, which is causing benign ovarian cysts, thick endometrial lining and polyps in the uterus. This would be a laproscopic day surgery -- three small incisions in the abdomen.

Even though it is just a day surgery, I'm a little nervous about going under general anesthesia -- I had tachycardia and extreme vomiting during my lumpectomy/SNB -- plus facing the other risks of a surgery. So I am thinking about whether I should push for chemical ovarian ablation instead (e.g., Lupron, Zoladex). I'd appreciate hearing from any of you who have weighed this decision or have information that might shed light on the best route. What are the pros and cons of oopherectomy v. Lupron / Zoladex? (Note that I am 48 so permanent loss of fertility is of no concern to me.)

P.S. I have just started tamox, but would switch to an AI after the estrogen is shut off either surgically or chemically.

Thank you!!!!
Lumpectomy & SNB August 2008
Stage 1b: 1.1 cm; clear margins; 0 nodes
ER+/PR+/HER2+
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
TCH 6 cycles 9-08 to 1-09
Herceptin continuing to 9-09
Radiation completed 2-09
Oophorectomy 4-09

DLL is offline   Reply With Quote