View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Louise O'Brien

Carol:

I'm really interested in this topic because I'm facing the same thing. At this point (unless I change my mind) I'll be having diep reconstruction on the left side - and I'll return four months later for a reduction on the good side. I made this decision after seeing two plastic surgeons - and I just clicked with the second one.

I totally understand how you feel - and how any one would feel in our boat. As for the critics - hey - unless they've walked in our shoes how would they know? I'm a size D - and told the surgeon I'd be delighted with a size B. Right now I feel quite lopsided and I refer to myself as a "circus freak". That's what this has done to my self esteem.

I have an insert I can wear and in normal clothes it looks quite good. You would never know. It was expensive but it's still heavy and as grateful as I am to have something that makes me look "natural", I'm tired of lugging it around.

I had a sobering moment with a dressmaker though, a few months ago. She didn't know my history and she was taking in a dress and matching coat. As she was pinning everything she said, "you know, you really need to get a good bra - you're hanging too low."

She felt awful when I explained why I could do nothing about it - but in a sense she was right.

I made my decision in Janurary and I'll get my official surgery date in June. I haven't wavered in my conviction that this is the right thing for me to do - even though I know it might not be a picnic a few weeks after. But my goodness, haven't we already learned to cope with the worst?

I'd like to read more discussion on this - and from women who have had surgery or are about to have it - especially when we get closer to our dates. I'm still fearful and I don't rule out the chance that I might just bolt. I'm also interested in recuperation times.

I've been assured by the way that it will still be possible to read mammograms on the good side.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote