View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #17
TriciaK

This is a great idea, and I hope there continues to be lots of response and info shared. Most of you know my story but I will add it here as part of this research. I was diagnosed with stage IV her2 mets to my lungs in July, 2004. It was totally unexpected, being 14 years since my last mets in 1990, and almost 20 years since my first BC diagnosis in 1985. I finished 15 months of herceptin in Nov, 2005. My onc would have continued it except that my last MUGA showed my ef had dropped to 30. You may remember that I started out immediately after a heart attack, so we kind of expected the ef would drop. I had navelbine too the first 6 months, and have been on femara from the first and will continue. I had triple bypass heat surgery in May and am now recovering well from that. My main complaints with herceptin--and I really didn't have much to complain about even with the navelbine--were very soft fragile fingernails, no eyebrows and diarrhea. Marlys, you will be glad to know the nails do get better! I do a french manicure myself now using lots of clear polish, and my nails have never been so long and strong. Only one eyebrow grew back, though! and the other one is sparse---but a little makeup fixes that. Everything else is back to normal, and I never did lose any hair. My last PET/CT showed NED again for the second time. I lost 55 pounds in the first few months after going on herceptin, and am still very slender. Had to buy all new clothes (bummer!!) I have moved from Az and my 21 years with the same onc (THAT was hard to leave!), and am in St George, Utah now. I will find a new onc soon, and cardiologist, too.My Az onc said I could go back on herceptin if I ever need it, but he expected that I would do fine---just be vigilant! It has been over 21 years since my first BC diagnosis, and I am 76, so I feel greatly blessed and very, very thankful for herceptin. BC is a beast, but it has never been more manageable , and there has never been more hope! This website is one of the greatest blessings! I have gained so much from it, and I hope to always be available to anyone I can help in any way. Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote