View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
carykim

post-menopause life

Janelle--

Not sure whether to post here or at YSC. I read Katie's response to you, and she laid out the reasons why I ended up with an ooph + AI. I took Tamoxifen for a few months during radiation and had no issues with it as a drug.

My life on an AI has been much the same--no major issues. No joint pain, minor hot flashes, some bone loss that is to be expected because of the loss of estrogen's protective effects. I've been in a study for the last ten months that is testing whether weight-bearing exercise has any effect on bone loss. I'll go on Zometa as soon as I finish in August because of the new findings that came out of the ASCO conference a few weeks back saying Zometa in the adjuvant setting can help prevent mets. Hopefully it will also prevent further bone loss.

I have dryness but no atrophy. Sex is different but by no means impossible.

Mood? I didn't realize an AI could cause depression. So I guess that hasn't been a problem.

I worried a lot about my skin looking old and losing suppleness and that hasn't happened yet. I haven't gained weight and turned into a post-menopausal pear. It's been a pretty uneventful post=ooph year, but of course I wish I hadn't had to lose those body parts.

xo
cary
9 nodes +
DD AC/T
Tried lumpectomy 2x Failed
Bilateral Mastectomy 3/07
Radiation 33x
Lupron + Tamoxifen for 3 months
Herceptin started 6/07
Ooph + Femara 7/07
Zometa
Neratinib Trial 1/10