View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
TanyaRD

Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

Hi Dianne,
Vitamin D is a critical component needed for calcium absorption so you definitely want your calcium supplement to contain vitamin D. There is a great deal of vitamin D research coming forth that I think is going to change the current vitamin recommendations for everyone. You do need to use caution in knowing what is in your supplement aside from calcium and vitamin D. Soy Lecithin and soy oil used in small amounts in foods and supplements contain little if any of the soy isoflavones we want ER+ breast cancer survivors to consume so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I noted that the Viactiv I have in my office has soy lecithin. I saw that Citrical has a new bone density calcium formula and noted that is contains significant amounts of the soy isoflavone, genistein, which is of concern and I would not recommend this product.

Being a breast cancer survivor, osteopenic and lactose intolerant you certainly need to take a calcium supplement (at least 1000mg/day). Citrical Maximum is a good choice and does not have any soy. Viactiv is easy if you have trouble with pills. Dietary-wise, make sure you are getting some dark, leafy greens, beans (starchy type), and you can also try some of the calcium fortified orange juice but be careful with the amount of juice you drink if weight is a concern. It is high in non-filling calories.

Research for green tea and cancer suggests 3-5 cups of green tea per day.

Last edited by TanyaRD; 10-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: one more thing...
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote