View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #18
Theresa McNiel

Know a 16-yr survivor

Dear Lisa: I have met a woman who lives hear me who has lived with metastatic breast cancer for 16 years. Met another woman who has gotten 9 years out of Herceptin, from mets dx. Just read an email from someone who was in the ICU for 2 weeks with extensive mets to liver, bones and lungs, thought she was dying. That was 5 years ago and she's doing fine. So...the more you read and talk to people, the more long-term survivors you find. You must never put your foot in the grave until you are really really sick, and even then you probably shouldn't because some people come back.

I myself have yet to respond to any treatment (I'm stage IV, tried mastectomy, radiation, Epirubicin/cytoxin, Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin, Herceptin/Navelbine, five surgeries including getting ovaries out, numberous alternative supplements/treatments) so my cancer has just progressed steadily since dx in 11/03. I'm hopeful the new Tykerb/Xeloda (lapatanib/capecitabine) will get me some stability, I'm trying to start it next week. The key seems to be to get some kind of response to a drug. Herceptin has worked wonders for some, pity it did nothing for me. There are so many treatments to try out there, you should take heart.

Theresa in Hawaii
Theresa McNiel is offline   Reply With Quote