View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Re: Vitamin D3 question #1

Hi Cal-Gal,

People just don't get outside as much as they had to years ago, especially up here in a climate that is cold so much of the time. Most of the patients here do test low also.

I listened to a program interviewing 3 dermatologists the other night, regarding the issue of skin cancers from sun exposure. Of course derm docs see an abnormally high number of patients with skin problems/skin cancers, so their perspective has that natural tendency of distortion. They advised putting sunscreen on 20 minutes before going out into the sunshine. What was particularly appalling to me was that it wasn't these doctors who took any time to specifically point out the importance of somehow getting adequate vitamin D if one was going to hide from the sun exposure, but the people who phoned in for the Q/A.....

Preventing skin cancers is important, but I hope that someone can demonstrate whether or not total reliance on supplementation out of a bottle actually works or not, given that so many other diseases seem to be related to adequate vitamin D.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote