View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Nancy L

Re: Cough from Tykerb...ANYONE???

Yes, I had an uncontrolled cough starting when my vocal cord paralyzed from the cancer 7/08. I used so many cough drops in 2008/2009 that I was ready to buy stock in the cough drop company. I did not go on Tykerb until 3/09 so it wasn't the cause of my cough. I have been on Herceptin for over five years and it never caused a cough.

My cough improved some after the incisional biopsy when they removed six nodes and as much of the cancer as they safely could. But the cough really improved after the Thyroplasty. I was prescribed a high dosage (4 X normal) of Prevacid after surgery and while I was taking it the cough pretty much went away. But I have found Prevacid (and other proton pump inhibitors like Nexium) and Tykerb do not mix, at least for me. I felt very ill everyday, but once I stopped the Prevacid, I felt decent again. But I have an occasional cough now which must be from acid reflux. They really do not have a lot of data on contraindicated drugs with Tykerb, so be careful. The cough may be from some other drug you are taking---many of them have cough as a side effect. Or because you have a paralyzed vocal cord, it may be the gap in your throat. Have they suggested the Thyroplasty? I am so happy I had it done. If you want to know more, let me know.

I am still taking 750mg Tykerb at bedtime and Herceptin every three weeks. Next scans are at the end of March for me.

Hope you find some solution for your cough. I know how draining it can be. For a while, I had to take a cough syrup inorder to get any sleep at night. It (Tussionex Ext-Rel) really worked well.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote