Thread: All stage 3ers
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
saleboat

I'm still really curious about this...I honestly never thought the Tykerb news applied to me...happy as I am to see the news. (If I had to have breast cancer at age 34, I sure picked the one to have...lots of new drugs and hopefully more to come.)

Has Tykerb ever been tested in the adjuvent setting? I thought that the big study that is starting is only for those who hadn't had Herceptin, but I'm not aware of any smaller studies. I don't think that my Onc would give me Tykerb-- in her mind, there is probably more unknown risk to taking Tykerb than from recurrance at this point. But wondering if anyone else has talked about this with their Onc.

I'm just afraid that Tykerb has some unknown side-effect, and since I hopefully have a long life ahead of me, I don't know if the risk is worth it. Say I have a 20% chance of recurrance at this point, is that enough to make Tykerb appropriate, given the unknown risk profile?

If anyone has talked about this with their Onc in detail, please share. I'm going to call my Onc, and want to be prepared-- she's a tough one.

Many thanks!

Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote