Thread: Port Problems
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #35
LOOKIN' FORWARD

Re: Port Problems

My port was installed 9-10 and it worked well altho it had "positional" problems & I had to be twisted up and down, back and forth, standing, sitting, etc. until it would work. Then when I was hospitalized it wouldn't work at all & they wanted to have 6 intravenous bags running at once so they performed a procedure in radiology dept. I think where they made an incision in my groin & inserted a thin tube or something that reached up to the port to clean off the fibrin that had grown on the base of the Power Port - it felt weird because I could feel it but it was painless and when they finished the port worked perfectly. In 3-11 there was no blood return so the oncology nurse used something like "Drano" to clean the port and that took about an hour. It's been so helpful to me in chemo to have a port & will have it used for my year of Herceptin. If it ever completely stops they just said I should have another one installed.
Dx'd 9/10; ER+, PR-, Her2+++, 2.8 cm to breast wall right breast; Stage 2 or 3 & involves nodes but has not spread beyond that; clinical trial Tykerb with TC, discontinued for side effects. Surgery w/b removing 2 levels of nodes & tumor. Completed final 2 chemos w/Herceptin. Surgery next.
LOOKIN' FORWARD is offline   Reply With Quote