Thread: Port Problems
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #22
AnneRM

I have already switched onc dr already. My first onc dr was worse. He didn’t even explain correctly about both tumors. I thought I only had one, the one I found under my arm. Second after I had my port inserted 4 days previous I complained about a hard time breathing. He got an EKG done on me and everything was find and receive treatment that day. During my chemo the onc nurse notice that my wrist was swollen, she contacted the dr and then I found out that I had phlibites. The next day I was burning up and my hand was cold. Onc nurse couldn’t get in touch with the dr and told me to go to ER. I explained to the ER dr about my breathing problem and she send me for an chest x-ray and then an ultra sound on my wrist. Everything was ok with my wrist, but found out I had a puncture lung from when they put the port in. The following day my onc dr visited me in the hospital and he made it clear that I didn’t have a puncture lung the day before when I received chemo. (I guess he was covering his tracks). Then I read a letter in my file that he wrote “patient denies having breathing problems”. Also, I found in my file a comment that I have an apprendectomy, which I didn’t. Third, on my next visit I told him about the rash on my wrist where the phlibites was and then he wrote me out a prescription. When I filled out the prescription and I noticed it said to take one day b4 chemo and 3 days after, so I took it right away because I had chemo that day. When it was time for my next chemo the onc nurse asked if I took my prescription. I asked what one and she said the one he gave you last time. I told her I took it back then because I thought it was for my wrist and that the chemo was irritating it. Then she told me to take one that day and come back the next day for chemo. I wasn’t too impressed because I live 45 minutes out of town and that would be my third trip.(I had blood work the day b4). After leaving I meet my onc dr on the elevator and I said no chemo today. He told me that I should learn how to read a prescription bottle and I told him that he should explain to the patient exactly what the prescription is for. I was starting taxotere and that is why he wrote out this prescription. I know better now and I will ask questions for any other prescriptions. This was in the beginning when I knew nothing and put all my faith in the doctors. With sites like this gave me the tools to learn and educate myself. I think doctors like it when you don’t ask questions and just go along with their routine.

We only have 4 onc doctors, so I might be running out options. I don’t know maybe they will think I am a problem child. I have to say the onc nurses are excellent and very informative.

Another thing, when I call the administrator for the cancer clinic and asked to change doctors they didn’t even ask why, but I made sure I told them why.

It's been a year today Dec 15 that I had my mastectomy.

Sorry I when on too long. Thanks for listening.

Anne

AnneRM is offline   Reply With Quote