View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #47
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Why i take supplements

I use Vitacost.com -- for most of my supplements. The products they carry are of very good quality and are all discounted. Shipping is free over $50. As you can imagine, that is easy to reach. I order monthly.

Those I can't get from Vitacost, I get from VITAHEALTH APOTHECARY in Manhattan. Dr. Gaynor (my nut onc) recommended them. They ship to me free since '98...
212) 628 - 1110

I keep an alphabetized list of all supplements, along with dosage, time I take them, and why I take them.

Most docs are just annoyed by my list. They are impressed that I am organized and most respect my belief system. Mainstream docs don't really know much about supplements and think they are a waste of $$. Western medicine spends about a day in med school on the topic. It is shameful IMHO...

I wholeheartedly disagree, as Dr. Gaynor, Dr. Andrew Weill, and any # of respected docs.

Post surgery recently (needed a biopsy for something new -- first time since '99 -- but BENIGN) -- I discovered:

Zinc is also important in helping to repair wounds, optimal recover for everyday tissue damage. I don't exceed 30 mg as that can cause stomach upset.

The importance of Vitamin C to make collagen and ensure proper wound healing for optimal recovery from tissue damage should not be ignored.

Arnica Montana is also important in wound healing I have found out (meadowsweet extract). Can ingest and/or use gel...

My surgeon when he told me to use a dressing each day -- consisting of a bandaid (when he saw me a wk after surgery). I asked if I should cream or Neosporin. You can, but it won't do anything! Seriously. No after surgery wound care. 1 of my 3 laparoscopic punctures looked and felt like a bullet wound. He said it wasn't infected. Just very red, perhaps from irritation due to its location at my waist. I asked about the yellow oozy stuff. He shrugged... That did not please me. As you might have already guessed. I used Neosporin. Increased my immune system booster and Vitamin C for a wk...

I had a wonderful endocrinolgist who used to ask, Do you also take eye of newt??? I loved her. But she moved too far from me. She did write down Evening Primrose Oil from me to deal with her hot flashes.

I like docs who are open-minded. My fav onc has (reluctantly) added a nutritionist and other alternative therapist to his practice. He is sharp and extraordinarily compassionate, but just kind of smiles at my list! I was his first patient, in 1995. My husband and I adore him. I have his email address and cell #, just in case, which he responds to within a half hr... I never take advantage of this privilege.

It is our responsibility as patients to make all our docs aware of what we are taking in addition to our meds list -- which I keep a typed alphabetized list of in my wallet. I have one for my husband as well that I keep in my wallet and give him a copy to keep in his wallet. Every doc wants to know what meds, the dosage, etc. you take.

My recent discovery of the combo : Alpha Lipoic Acid, Co-Enzyme Q10 and L-Carnitine -- all of which I take -- help enormously for muscle aches and deep pain. A local cardiologist wrote a book I read. He was a mainstream doc until about 5 yrs ago. He is now into supplements and discovered that combo for his patients on statins.

My friends all have aches and pains, comment that it's our age. I don't have aches and pains. THANK HEAVENS! I now believe it is because of those 3 supplements I've been on forever.

When we rescued our first 2 dogs, the rescue lady gave me a book by a Cornell trained vet. He too was mainstream until about 20 yrs ago, when he discovered the efficacy of supplements. Our 2 Maltese brothers were seriously sick. I went by his recommendations and added some supplements to their diet. I guessed at the dosage, based on their small size.

Our vet was quite amazed when we next brought our furry boys in. My husband asked why. He said, Because usually when they are that sick, they don't make it! (He had given the sicker one a mini chemo bath. One paw at a time over the course of a day. The meds he was giving weren't doing the trick.)

It's my pleasure to help. We're all here to help one another. Don't be shy -- just keep your questions coming...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote