View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
heblaj01

I often read the articles of this author but I find that he jumps too easily from preclinical studies to human treatment recommandations.
He also tends to assign to natural supplements the merit of efficacy in reports of single case patients subjected to concurrent conventional & complementary treatments when no one can be sure of what is exactly happening.

The basis of the interest in ground flaxseeds comes from two small studies done in Toronto, the last one in 2005.
It is almost certain that the women (whose biopsies were found to show activity related to flaxseeds in muffins consummed for a short period before surgery) were early stage cancer patients not metastatic late stage.
The study may also have a flaw exagerating the benefits of flax seeds because only the placebo muffins were made with 10g canola oil (rich in omega-6 fatty acids) which may have opposite effects to those of flaxseeds(rich in Omega-3).

The author aknowledges in his comments that there is currently no scientific proof that flaxseeds inhibit NF-kappaB (a genetic factor causing resistance to chemo) but he assumes that they do.
I hope more anecdotal cases reports will support this theory since it is unlikely that clinical trials will ever be carried out on a compound that cannot be patented, the requisite condition for interest by pharmaceutical companies.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote