View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
SweetSandals

Re: heart attack after chemo into hercetin only

It happened to me three weeks after my first and only infusion of Herceptin, on the day I was supposed to get my 2nd! You're right - it isn't like a "regular" heart attack when arteries are blocked and they have to use stents or surgery to provide a blood supply to the heart muscle. Instead, the left ventricle dilates and can't contract well. Google "Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy". The illustrations will show what happens to the LV. I can tell you what happens to a cardiologist's face when he realizes you're having this attack in his office......and it made me want to laugh and cry at the same time! I smiled, knowing that he truly cares and was extremely worried about me, but I saved my tears for later, knowing that this might limit my treatment options. The cardiac drugs like carvedilol and metoprolol which regulate heartbeat can help enormously. I have been told to rest for two weeks then we will all re-evaluate. I've read that we are allowed to have three of these "incidents" before we are pulled off Herceptin for good. I hope you do very well and can continue your treatments. Having had it happen so early in my treatment regimen is extremely worrisome, but I want to get as much Herceptin as I can. I'm so sorry you went through this too. I hope you can finish your regimen!
SweetSandals is offline   Reply With Quote