View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #534
Iwannagrowold

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

Hello,

I posted on another thread. New to this website.

I have just perused the last 4 years of reported herceptin side effects... very useful!!!

I was diagnosed January 2010, 8mm, her2+++, er-,pr-, lymph node neg,
Had 6 rounds of TCH (Feb thru June), during this time weekly herceptin, then triple dose herceptin every 3 weeks thereafter. (until Feb 2011)

I have experienced intermittant episodes of tachycardia, self terminating, not caught on holter monitor, clearly herceptin related. We returned to weekly herceptin.

Currently, during the infusions, I experience subtle but real (at least in my crazy head) pleuritic chest discomfort that radiates to my throat. I also am lightheaded nearing the end and after infusion.

What I haven't seen mentioned, correct me if I am wrong, is the possibility that our side effects may be related to the stabilizers and preservatives used to reconstitute the herceptin, ie polyvinyl chloride, and not necessarily the herceptin itself. Not that this is any more comforting.

I know there is no way to really know the answer to this question, though I wonder if some of us are able to "process" (via hepatic or renal clearance) these chemicals more efficiently than others and thus the differences in side effects. (As with any drug reaction)

What I'm trying to say is its not all in our heads!!
Iwannagrowold is offline   Reply With Quote