View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
pattyz

Update: Spinal Fluid me

Here is an udate email I've just sent out:

Once again, I apologize for the 'blanket' email... but it seems easier for me and all who don't know what's been going on every day...A LOT!!!

Many hospital visists and stays. Went to ER on July 31 on "Order" of Onc's nurse. Checked out Aug. 17 all at one hosp. Had a PowerPort put in on the13th, but needed to replace whole IV UNIT first as it was messed up... cool docs all around. Tho' the one IV Gal had nothing BUT probs, she INSISTED on another 5 mins, I gave her 1 and watched. She did it in 1 !!! I was so happy/proud for her...

Home late Mon. Aug. 17 and that night, got caught in my queen wicker bed. It was NOT my eighteen day hosp. bed and dark as pitch. I am weak as can be, had to pee, get out of a non-protected bed...and it just tried to eat me. Leg/shin shows it.

So, on the 20th, I was back in the ER and Hosp. closest to us, smaller. It's attached to the offices where I see my onc, now. Didn't realize how lacking I was in any strength or coordination or ability to do for myself. Home yesterday to a brand new hosp. bed, along with the new potty top so I can USE the potty, and the new walker from the 17th. No bed traps!

And this is why all of the above: I had a spinal tap late July 31st.
My breast CA has moved one last? time into my spinal fluid. It was confirmed on Thur. 6th and my first TX by spine IV w/Methotrexate was the next day. My 'schedule' is to be 2x's a wk. Yet my platelets have dropped to 57,000, not found a fit yet for a transfusion, so missed the 4th one witch was set to try on the 18th and again on the 21st. Hope to do the whole draw, look see, and 4th TX day after tomorrow: MON. the 24th.

It is to quote: "The End of the Line". Or maybe: "End Stage BC Mets". Not sure really what it is called, yet I DO KNOW THE PROGNOSIS is a mere 12-to MAYBE 18 months. However, I was lucky enough to 'know' one gal who went on keeping on for just about two yrs. One super great gal.

So far, it (the chemo) is looking like it may be working a tiny bit. It is a tiny bit easier for me to talk AND to be mostly understood...IF I TALK SLOW and remember to enunciate each word. NOW, I get to look forward to riding a cart at Walmart, not frown on those who do, looking like they don't NEED one. Hoping I won't fall out!!!

Please don't be too sad or scared... Such is life and death. And, I don't think there is any 'true' death as we see it, anyway. I see me still providing some kind of nurishment to that or those that are in need of just what I have to offer. I am mostly feeling just 'out of it'. No consistent pain above a three, blurry vision nothing helps, some mouth sores, more pills!!!

The Decadron has ' kicked in '. Thus: better appetite with some weight gain at 101.5 lbs. rather than the low of 97.7. And wrinkles are filling in, making my age 60 look a tiny bit younger! At least I don;t look older than my Lyle's 72, so there!

Know I love and respect you ALL.
With much solid affection and many tight hugs,
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOpatty
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote