View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
Rolepaul

Re: How Her2+ BC patients develop brain metastases

Seven years after finding Brain mets on a MRI scan (November 2 2009) and five years after new brain mets and 20 to 25 spine mets (December 15, 2011) my wife is still alive. Doctors are now finding they have to do MRI scans of the brain and spine for HER+ patients for six to ten years. The problem has been that most doctors don't know what to do. I have helped a significant number of patients get Intrathecal Herceptin (now paired with a chemotherapy also IT) with pretty decent results. The problem is that a clinical trial takes took long to recruit a patient, so they are rarely healthy enough to participate. I challenge doctors with how many patients do they have that have gone into remission. Then I say that the vast majority of the patients that have tried the MD Anderson protocol have gone into remission. There is hope for patients, but you have to ask your doctor to look at the treatments. That can be hard for a medical professional's ego. If you run into CNS mets from HER+ ask about this treatment. If your doctor says it does not work, ask for the evidence in clinical trials or other documented cases.
There is the ability to raise the 20% to 90% or higher, but it takes patients asking the question.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote