View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
MCS

October breast awareness-LA Times

You may not feel the same way I do, but I feel that the media obviously ignores us when it comes to information about HER 2+ and it simply upsets me!

Recently, the LA Times has written a couple of articles on breast cancer, barely naming our minority group.

I wrote the LA Times. Below is my email to them. Again you may not agree with me, but if we don't speak up, who will?

Although I appreciate the LA Times article on 10/20/10 and the fact that you mention the other group of non responsive to hormone treatment, I believe that the subject is totally ignored for the HER 2+ women in the media. It's completely obscured. A couple of weeks ago another long article was also published in the LA Times, also not addressing this group. When I mention to people that I have (had) breast cancer, they automatically assume is hormonal, becasuse that's all the media emphasizes.

Why my concern? Well, you see I am one of those HER 2+ women.

I would like the LA Times to write another article on that segment of the population only.
An article that is well researched and documented. We do not have the privilege of a pill to control our hormonal balances so to prevent cancer from returning. Some women get hormone treatment even on preventive basis, before a diagnosis of breast cancer. I don't have that at all to prevent my HER 2 + cancer from coming back. How would you like to be in those shoes? I pray that I could have a pill every day! We would like a vaccine that can control the over prodution of the protein.

I believe that 20-30% of women are affected by this factor. Why should the minority be ignored, until a few years ago till the use of Herceptin came along, we had no good prospects. Herceptin was approved in Europe before the FDA gave the approval here. How would you like to hear that if you in an advanced stage? Now we have Tykerb as well but again is not the same as for the other 80-70% of women.

Breast health awareness is for ALL breast cancers. My type of cancer needs more money for research. Grants are needed to allow researchers to look more into this side of breast cancer illness. We trash pharmaceutical companies for outrageous profits, the media never looks the other way, the consequences of not doing the research and bringing new drugs. The process for approval of drugs is long . Without future research, I will die. How would you like to live with that sword on your head?

Please be informed. Address all sides of the issues.

Consider asking the Avon Foundation and visit www.her2support.org for information.
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote