View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
Laurel

Re: recommended reading for all newly (and formerly) diagnosed with T1a or b NO MO he

As you can see from my signature, I chose to go the most aggressive route out there which is the ACTH. Nasty stuff all of it! I think studies are absolutely necessary for women to make a truly informed decision. When I had to decide I looked at the stats and chose to toe up to the line and be poisoned 8 times. If I were to discover that it provided very little or no benefit in terms of overall survival, I doubt that I would chose that course a second time. However, you must live with what you knew at the moment you are confronted with the decision. I have no intention of beating up myself or the medical community that promoted the treatment. I do, however, firmly believe studies with stage 1 Her2s need to be compiled quickly to resolve the nagging question of treatment efficacy. Should we find a substantial benefit than so be it, continue the treatment recommendation. I have noted several stage 1 gals on this site who did not receive Herceptin and advanced to stage iv. It may be purely anecdotal, but still it gives me pause. This risk to progress is definitely present, just how much chemo & Herceptin mitigate the risk is unproven as yet.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote